MLAS Admissions Procedures for International Students

International students must be enrolled as full-time students during their tenure in UNC Asheville's Master of Liberal Arts and Sciences Program.

Applications cannot be reviewed until all documents are received. If university transcripts and bank letters are not in English, certified English translations must be submitted.  Currency figures must be in U.S. equivalents. All test scores must be sent to UNC Asheville directly from the testing service to be considered official. Student copies and/or photocopies cannot be accepted.

All materials should be sent to the Admissions Office, UNC Asheville, One University Heights CPO 1320, Asheville, NC 28804.

Apply as a Graduate Student

  1. Submit the application packet as required for Degree-Seeking Admission.
  1. Arrange for your official university transcripts to be sent to us. All graduate applicants are required to submit all undergraduate and post graduate transcripts, and all foreign academic transcripts MUST be evaluated by WES or a NACES approved evaluation service, using the basic course by course evaluation option. Additionally, these transcripts must be translated into English.
  1. Submit your test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). If you have attended a university in the United States for a minimum of one year, you are not required to submit proof of English proficiency. TOEFL minimum score accepted: 85 on the Internet-based test. The UNC Asheville code is 5013. IELTS minimum score accepted is a 6.5.

Necessary Documents Needed for an I-20 (I-20 Packet)

Upon acceptance, you must include the materials listed below as soon as possible so an I-20 can be issued for visa purposes.  If you have any questions about specific documents you might need to submit, please contact us.

  • A copy of your passport.
  • An Affidavit of Support and a bank statement from you or your sponsor's bank, both notarized, demonstrating your financial support. You must have minimum liquid assets of $26,000.
  • If you are currently studying at another U.S. institution, you must submit copies of any I-20 forms previously issued. Also submit copies of your passport, visa, and I-94 card.


Follow these steps to get your I-20 and student visa.

1. It's important for you to submit all of your documents to the Office of Admissions in sufficient time for us to process all the paperwork and send your I-20 form to you.

Use the following dates as a guideline (You can submit documents earlier, but remember that all bank statements must be current within six months of the date of submission):

Fall semester: July 1
Spring semester: December 1 of the previous year

2. Once you receive the I-20 form from UNC Asheville, and your SEVIS Fee is paid, take it along with your UNC Asheville acceptance letter and a notarized Affidavit of Support and bank statement to the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your country. For further information on obtaining the F-1 visa, go to .

3. Upon entering the United States, present your UNC Asheville I-20 form to a U.S. immigration official along with your F-1 visa (stamped in your passport) and I-94 form (obtained on the plane).

 If you are unable to obtain an F-1 student visa (which requires an I-20 form) in time to begin classes, you cannot enter the United States on a B-1/B-2 visitor visa and register for classes.